Sunday, September 28, 2008

Rules of Engagement

On a first note, Congrats Amy!
Her and Kyle are engaged. :3

She mentioned it was a "Hey, we should get married" kind of thing.
Which is like how it happened with me and Sean.

I mean, come on. We were walking towards Fred Meyers in the parking lot.
It was the morning after the company Christmas party for ACHC/SKW, which we were out in Alyeska for.
No down on his knee. No ring.
Just "Hey, we should get married."
And a "Yeah, we should."

Which makes me think.
Why do we expect the Hollywood engagement?
The dramatic yes or no, the "special moment."

People say it's traditional that way.
But think of it this way, that's a modern tradition. Traditionally would be an arranged marriage when you're what, 13? Or running off to elope with some bandit on a stallion, or to be bought off from your parents.

That's "traditional."

I know. Hollywood has the whole razzle dazzle effect, throwing glitter, sequins and drama into everything to throw off from the main point.

And yet, people still expect the dozen roses in hand, a black box containing a ring, and a handsomely dressed man on his knee with musicians in the background.

I think I would have just been weirded out by it.
And I don't expect that from him.
I expect him to be who he is.
And a man from those dirty little novels every mom reads isn't him.

I guess if that's your digs, then go for it. I'm not saying it's wrong in any way.
It worked out for me how mine went, as I got to pick out my own ring.
Mm.. Tiffany.

But my name is Amanda Stone.
And I was engaged in a Fred Meyer's parking lot, on December 16th, 2007.

1 comment:

Medical Transcription Student said...

I can't belive I missed this post.
Thank you maaanda.

I will be using this blog for work. But I will keep updated on you through it.